Friday, January 14, 2011

The End of an Age

I got in our van and made my way down the all-too-familiar path to the sushi restaurant today, distraught yet excited at the same time. I hadn't made the decision yet, but it had been a long time coming now-- maybe I was fooling myself in thinking that the option to turn back existed at all. One rendezvous with my buddy Stefan later, I found myself seated opposite him, staring down at a wicker basket of shrimp and calamari tempura. As I deftly wielded my chopsticks with the seasoned hand that only comes from years of sushi adoration, I picked up a piece of the squid. The moment felt like an eternity, yet was over before I knew it: I took a bite of the familiar favourite, and after eleven days of fierce vegetarian competition, I had conceded to my rival Lana.


I think I should set the record straight, however. I feel like I could have gone on longer in the competition (see my previous post for details on our vegetarian challenge), but I decided to throw in the towel because it seemed like Lana had no intention of giving up any time soon. I honestly didn't mind not eating meat during my time as a vegetarian, but life seemed a little boring without it. The other factor in my decision to concede was that I really wasn't going about being a vegetarian the right way. While Lana had done her research on balancing nutrients and taking supplements, I was just eating a lot of eggs and cheese. It got to the point that I was sure that my new diet of non-meat was much more unhealthy than my old one that had meat.

We fought a good fight, but it looks like dinner's going to be on me this time. Lana was happy to hear that the challenge was over when I chatted with her earlier today (her friends thanked me for "giving them their friend back"), so it looks like things are back to normal. To my vegetarian brother-from-another-mother Steve, who placed a bet on me winning, I apologize for my resignation. We had a fun time being vegetarians together, but the dream is coming crashing down now.

But it's on to bigger and better things now anyway! After all, that picture of a rabbit for Jackie Chan's Chinese New Year contest isn't going to draw itself. Ciao for now, readers!

1 comment: